Saturday 29 October 2011

Assignment Model 2 - R2-D2

The second model I did was the R2-D2.

First I also did find a blue print of R2-D2 to start with.

Therefore I did not have to worry about the scale of the body and legs.
Although I only found one side view of R2-D2, but it helped the basic scaling.
 Next I started to add details on it's body, although this could be done by adding materials with such patterns
But perhaps, it would give a better visual effect and easier than finding such material.
After the experience of modelling the x-wing, I had many experiences of modelling such details.
But R2-D2 was actually more difficult, as it had a round shape body, I almost had to edit every single vertex when I add the details on. 
 I used techniques such as the Boolean subtraction eg: the green chamferbox to create the air vents.
Outline tools for those "buttons" so they were not some exact rectangular boxes.

After I had done the body, I moved on to modelling the leg.
The blue print wasn't much use after the first scaling part, as there were too many details on the blue print, it could be figured out easily, therefore most of the details were done using images from the research boards. 
 Also used all type of shapes, and edited by moving vertexes etc.


 The most difficult part was the "head" of R2-D2, by adding such shape for the patterns,
I had to use a lot of Boolean subtracting method, to cut the semi-sphere.
Also by a bit of calculation of the cutting angles etc.

 So that I could have the 3D patterns as below.

The finished model. The R2-D2!
 Legs

 Front

 Back
 Top


No comments:

Post a Comment